Shopping Function is Even Better Now! ~ Categorized Items & More!

Update:  I did a 10 minute video explaining how it works.

I told people over on Facebook that my husband was working on my birthday present . . . improvements to the shopping list function.  Happy birthday to me.  It's now live!  Consider it the party favor for stopping by the party!  :)  Thanks for being here!

Just to do the recent improvements, my husband worked over 20 hours.  I asked him what he would have charged someone else for the whole project, from start until now.  He just laughed and said it was more than I could afford — glad I have connections!

The shopping list function helps you create and organize personalized shopping lists.  The major change is that it will be categorized for you, to make your shopping trips faster.

Let me preface it by saying that it's not going to be perfect for everyone.  I agonized over choosing categories.  I didn't want them too broad.  At the same time, even the same grocery chain sometimes has a different layout.  That means I couldn't do it by aisle or get too specific or it would lose its value when you got to the store to use it.

So, I settled on what I did, knowing it's not perfect, but also knowing that it will help me organize my shopping trips better.  I hope you feel the same way.  If you don't . . . you're stuck with what I have.  :(  There's no way to uncategorize, though you can still move things up and down within a category.

Here are the categories:

Non-Food:
Personal Care
Healthcare
Baby
Household
Pet Care

Food:
Food (non-chilled)
Breakfast (cereal, bars, etc.)
Baking
Drinks (non-chilled)
Bread
Meat & Cheese
Produce
Chilled
Frozen

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, find a green plus sign to click on from the shopping lists (must be on the website) and it will open up the list.  Drag it to the side and keep adding items to your list.  Hopefully, it's fairly intuitive and you can figure it out by clicking around.  Remember that you can go from store to store and don't have to stick with only one list.

You will have the option view and organize your lists altogether or one list at a time.

I will be doing a video about it soon, but I wanted to let you know about the changes first.  I think you will be able to figure out what you need to.  If you have any questions, please leave it in the comment section below.   That way, when I answer it, others can benefit if they have the same question.

After clicking green plus signs from list to list, you'll be able to:

• Sort items by store and also categories within the store
  • Sort your coupons by insert for easy cutting (one store or multiple stores at once)
  • Delete lines you don't want
  • Save ink by unbolding all the formatting and/or shrinking the text
  • Change quantities (can now add a note there as well, if you don't want to type in only a number)
  • Add & categorize your own items on specific lists
  • Move items up or down to sort them within a category
  • Automatically save work until you clear it (if using same browser)
  • More . . . play around and see what you discover!

** If you have a previous a list that is saved, it will be there, but there won't be categories.  If you want categories, you'll have to clear that list and start over.

8 Responses to “Shopping Function is Even Better Now! ~ Categorized Items & More!”

• leah says:

Hello,
    I was wondering something about the deals list, when i have a previous list saved that i just start adding to, not paying attention whether or not the sales from each stores are still current, how am i able to see the valid dates for each store on the deals list?

You can’t. :( It’s a great idea, though. I mentioned it to my husband and he said, “Add it to the list.” :) So, I did. That means he thinking it’s possible to program in, though I don’t know how easy or hard it will be to pull the dates from the list. Either way — it’s on the list and may start appearing in the future. Sorry — no idea when. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Samanth says:

Hello!!! For some reason I do not have the green dots on my desk top but I can see them on my mobile device. Any ideas on how to fix that. I have always been able to see the green dots but I can not now. Any advice would be great Thanks

We have tested this on all five of our home computers and can’t get the problem to come up. But, you’re not the first that has told us. :( We haven’t changed anything. It seems to only be happening in Internet Explorer. If you can use another browser, that will work. If not, some have had luck with refreshing the page in IE.

We still haven’t received enough details to diagnose the problem. I’m assuming you’re also in IE, but what version are you using? And, do you know what your operating system is (version if Windows, etc.)? If you know, it would really help. We still can’t recreate it, which means it can’t be fixed. It’s probably a change in IE that we need to make our stuff compatible with, but we’re not sure how yet. If you know, please let us know. If not, no worries. Meanwhile . . . sorry for the hassle! :(

• Stephanie says:

The green plus signs have been gone for a good month now. I just read your reply to someone else. I have IE 10 with Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks for the info. We still haven’t figured it out. It’s so strange, but the added info. may help. I’ll pass it along to my husband and hope! If you can use another browser, it will probably work. Sorry!!

• LaVona says:

I also have not been able generate a personal shopping list due to the green plus signs have been gone for a little over a month – I have Windows 8. Thanks.

Sorry to report, but … without a significant time investment, my husband can’t get it figured out. He asked if I wanted him to put time into that or on the updates I’m very anxious to see done. I chose the updates. With them, this issue will not be there. It will be a whole new system. Since he has some much time left, I just don’t want to take away from that project. It will be super awesome, but . . . we have to wait. The only solution that is “definite” is for you to use another browser. Sorry!